One recipe two ways
Stovetop chili is my favorite!
Other chili and stew recipes you may enjoy:
Kitchen items used in this recipe
Two-bean chili — 2 ways is packed full of savory vegetables, favorite chili spices, and hearty beans. It’s a favorite for a game day or a comfort-food dinner. This recipe starts out as a vegan meal, then meat is added for the carnivores.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, slightly pureed using a stick mixer
- 1 cup bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked blackeyed peas (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 pound browned lean ground beef
- chopped fresh cilantro and sliced green onions, for garnish
- dairy or non-dairy sour cream for garnish, optional
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped bell peppers and cook, about 3 minutes more.
- Add chili powder, oregano, cumin and coriander and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce or puree, broth and beans. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring often, until flavors have melded and sauce is thickened and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into two portions. Add the browned ground beef to one portion and stir.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Stir in cilantro, if desired, or top with garnishes.
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
1 1/2 cups of beans is the amount in one 15-ounce can. Or the amount obtained if you pressure-cook 1/2 cup of dry beans in an Instant Pot.
Keywords: chili, vegan chili, beef chili, 2 way recipe, blackeye peas, black beans, stovetop chili, Lodge dutch oven