This tasty quinoa-chia overnight breakfast pudding with mango and banana is simple, elegant, filling and satisfying. It’s adaptable to flavors from mildly sweet to fruity.
Once you have made the basic recipe, garnish with fruit and yogurt of your choice and enjoy not having to think about what’s for breakfast the next day.
A serving of quinoa is pretty nutritious, with this content:
- 8g of protein.
- 6g of fat.
- 5g of fiber
Yet there are dietary cautions:
- Eating too many grains such as quinoa, regardless of how healthy they are – can cause an overload of potentially gut-irritating compounds. My take is that it’s best to eat them with other foods like chia, fruit and yogurt – thus this breakfast dish.
Chia supplies healthy omega-3 fatty acids and a good amount of fiber. Chia and quinoa together are pretty bland, and beg for other flavors! Here they get some spice, a little honey and the flavors of mango and banana. Peaches would substitute for the mango in both flavor and texture.
Without the honey, this breakfast depends on the sweetness of the banana from making it almost savory, but you should tailor the recipe to your taste. We prefer plain yogurt, so adding this small amount of honey will depend on how tart your yogurt is.
I have not called this an overnight breakfast, though it could be, because we assemble our breakfast puddings in the morning. The main reason for this is because the fruit is better when freshly placed onto the pudding.
I cook the quinoa the night before while I’m doing something else, and let it cool. I might add a little extra water when cooking the quinoa just so it doesn’t come out dry. Then I mix it with the chia and the coconut milk (I use So Delicious brand with carton packaging – mostly because it is less thick than canned).
This is a delicious and easy breakfast without being too sweet, and it’s vegan and quick to put together. If you have a chance to make this recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know how it went.
Other breakfast recipes on A Meal In Mind
Shop Quinoa-Chia Breakfast Pudding with Mango
Links to products for purchase are affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps me with the costs of blogging, and I thank you! You can find my ‘shop’ page here.
Quinoa Chia Breakfast Pudding with Mango, Banana and Yogurt
- 1 ½ cup cooked quinoa cooled
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom or nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey optional
- Sliced bananas cubed mango or peach, plain yogurt and a sprinkling of hemp seeds for garnishes
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cooked quinoa and the chia seeds.
- Stir the cinnamon, cardamom or nutmeg, and coconut milk into the seed mixture until fully combined. Make a decision about how much honey to add, if any.
- To make individual servings in advance: Pour/spoon evenly into four jars or glasses. Seal and place in the refrigerator overnight. Garnish in the morning.
- To make individual layered servings in the morning: After stirring the ingredients together in the evening, cover the container used for mixing. The next day, fill each glass or jar ⅓ full of the thickened chia-quinoa mixture. Layer in yogurt and fresh fruit. Spoon the remaining chia-quinoa pudding evenly onto the fruit layer, leaving a little space for topping. Top with more yogurt, mango, banana and hemp seeds.
Please Pin for later!