This wonderful, naturally sweet stone fruit salad is made from the bounty of late summer. Dashes of orange and lime juice combine in a simple citrus dressing. The dressing brings out the sweet flavor of the stone fruit while adding a tart zip that wakes up the taste buds.
Stone fruit bounty
I dreamed of this salad even before I brought home several varieties of stone fruit from the South Pearl Street Farmers Market In Denver. We look forward to the fabulous Colorado peaches and everything else was just a gift to go with them!
New to me were the shiro plums, described by the fruit stand as like sweet-tarts. Golden-yellow and a little larger than the cherries, they have a distinctive tartness and beautiful color. They were perfect in the fruit salad – even better than on their own!
What are good fruits for fruit salad?
The local organic fruits I chose were all from Ela Family Farms of Hotchkiss, Colorado, and all organically grown. This year was a good one for stone fruit and we knew it would be a race to eat as many as we could! And, this is not a sponsored post – we just love what they sell!
The fruits are all so good raw that rather than bake them into a dessert I want to enjoy them in a fruit salad. We make it as many times as the fruit supply holds out!
You could chop the fruit and mix it and serve without any dressing, of course. But I wanted something a little more than that, but also to keep it extra simple.
Sweetener isn’t needed, but you could drizzle on some maple syrup if your fruit is not as sweet as mine. We used maple syrup because we aren’t eating honey in anything right now until the baby is old enough. Honey would be delicious, especially if you enjoy a particular local brand.
You could use this light citrus dressing on any fruit salad or in a green salad that has fruit as one of the toppings. Yum!
If you make this recipe, please leave me a message in the comments so I know how it went!
Other fruity recipes on A Meal In Mind
Shop stone fruit salad with citrus dressing
Links to products for purchase are affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. This helps me with the costs of blogging, and I thank you!
Stone Fruit Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 4 cups of washed and chopped fruit
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup optional if the fruit is sweet already
- 1 teaspoon orange or lime zest or a combination
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- mint for garnish optional but tasty
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl, and whisk together until well-combined.
- Use immediately, or keep covered and refrigerated until ready to use. (Best used as soon as possible after being prepared for best flavor.)
- Stir into fruit salad. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes for the flavors to blend. More than that, and the fruit will start to lose moisture to the dressing.