These flourless oatmeal coconut milk pancakes are a perfect Saturday morning treat. They reheat beautifully later in the week. They are gluten-free, as long as you use gluten-free oats, and dairy-free. They can be made sweet or savory according to your preference – just adjust the amount of sweetener!
Love pancakes and oats?
Oatmeal with the typical toppings of syrup and /or fruit has a lot of carbohydrate for me and can cause spikes in blood sugar. The combination of oats with the protein in the eggs and the satisfying fats contained in coconut oil and coconut milk, is more sustaining in the morning.
When I first made these flourless oatmeal coconut milk pancakes, I used yogurt as the main liquid base.
But, it’s silly to mix all those wonderful probiotics into a batter, then kill them with the heat of cooking! Coconut milk substitutes beautifully for the yogurt.
You can vary this recipe depending on how thick or thin or eggy you like your pancakes. An extra egg will make them more crepe-like and protein-rich. Additional almond milk will make a thinner pancake.
When you first mix the oats, raisins and coconut milk together, you will see some liquid, but soon the liquid disappears and the mixture thickens.
- Before you add the eggs to the mixture, beat them lightly in a separate bowl. This prevents eggshells from accidentally getting in your oat mixture.
- Then, measure the spices and leavenings in a small bowl and mix them before adding to the rest of the batter. That way you’ll be less likely to get a mouthful of baking powder or soda in a pancake because the dark spices help you see if there are any little lumps of white.
The addition of a tablespoonful or so of coconut oil to the pan before each set of pancakes will ensure that they don’t stick and they turn out crispy.
Or, if you want a version that uses less oil and cooks all at once in the oven, try my baked oatmeal pancake.
The pancakes make a filling breakfast that everyone can top as they like. They make a great snack, too, so I make a double batch when I have time.
Pin for Later!
Enjoy! Please let me know in the comments what you thought of these.
Other breakfasts on A Meal In Mind
Some links in this post are affiliate links. If you click on a link and purchase a product, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. This helps me support my blogging work, and I thank you.
Flourless Oatmeal Coconut Milk Pancakes
- Combine the oats, coconut milk, almond milk and raisins and allow to soak for several hours or overnight.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, then stir into the oat-coconut milk mixture.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, then stir into the wet ingredients.
- Heat about 1 tablespoonful of coconut oil in a nonstick pan or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Cook the pancakes until the edges look dry and bubbles have appeared in the pancake (the cooked side should be lightly browned) and then flip and cook the other side. Add a little more oil before cooking each batch.
- To be sure the recipe is gluten-free, use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats or Thrive Market gluten-free oats.
- Prep time doesn't include soaking time.
Pin for Later!