This 40-minute Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff produces tender beef in a savory sauce full of umami flavors. In this dairy-free, gluten-free recipe, coconut cream provides the richness to the sauce. Garbanzo bean pasta makes for a flavorful and protein-rich complement to the stroganoff.
I know, I know – the goal is a 30-minute meal. However, it takes time to sear the beef, onions and garlic. And the kitchen smells so great while you are doing that!
I’ve eaten many versions of stroganoff over the years. Bean stroganoff and mushroom stroganoff in the vegetarian years. Ground beef stroganoff in the everything-with-ground-beef years. With and without sour cream or yogurt.
Some eaters think the mushrooms are the best part of a stroganoff, the more the better — and others would like it without any fungi at all.
Should I cook the mushrooms separately for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff?
There was a time when I didn’t think I liked mushrooms. My experience with them was limited to chewy little black unrecognizable bits in packets of spaghetti sauce mix that we used when I was growing up. I was thankful the bits were so tiny that you’d rarely actually bite down on one!
What changed my mind? My college boyfriend’s mother served butter-sautéed fresh mushrooms. My view of mushrooms was transformed! Mushrooms are a delectable treat!
This recipe features the mushrooms cooked separately in avocado oil (or ghee) for two reasons. One is to serve them separately so that a non-mushroom-lover doesn’t have to pick them out.
The second reason is that, much as I love the idea of a one-pot meal, I don’t love pressure-cooked mushrooms. I prefer mine gently cooked in the oil or ghee right at the last minute. This way, they still have a little of their fresh springy texture and distinctively earthy flavor.
Timing is pretty simple with the Instant Pot. If you start to sauté the mushrooms and boil the pasta for about ten minutes after you set the timer on the Instant Pot, everything should be done at the same time.
What pasta goes well with beef stroganoff?
There are so many gluten-free pastas available: garbanzo, red lentil, rice, blends! For this meal, it came down to providing visual harmony of the light-colored chickpea pasta with the browns in the sauce. Beautiful food tastes just a bit better, I think!
Sides that go well with Beef Stroganoff
More Instant Pot favorites on A Meal In Mind
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #amealinmind on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. Thank you so much!!
40-Minute Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff – Dairy-free, Gluten-free
For the stroganoff:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil see notes
- 1 large white onion about 3 cups chopped
- ¼ cup peeled sliced garlic (about 5 large cloves)
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and more for garnish
- 1 can coconut cream
For the mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or ghee if you tolerate it
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms chopped
For the pasta:
- 12 ounces garbanzo bean Banza brand noodles (cook according to package directions)
- Pour the avocado oil into the Instant Pot and set to the sauté setting.
- Add the chopped white onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in the beef chunks and sear until browned, about 3 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the salt and pepper and cassava flour to coat.
- Pour in the broth, Worcestershire, coconut aminos and parsley and stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on the Meat/Stew setting for 20 minutes. Release time will be at least 15 minutes.
While the beef is pressure-cooking:
- Boil the correct amount of water according to the package and cook the garbanzo pasta.
- Heat the avocado oil or ghee over medium heat. Saute the mushrooms until coated with oil and just softened.
Once you have removed the Instant Pot cover:
- Stir in the coconut cream. Ladle the beef and sauce over noodles. Garnish with parsley and serve with roasted vegetables like Simple Lemon-Roasted Broccoli and White Sweet Potatoes (recipe here).
Please pin for later!