Lemon-Roasted Broccoli and White Sweet Potatoes make a simple side dish that is ready in less than 30 minutes. You just clean the vegetables, cut them to size, oil, season and bake. Seasonings are easy and you can change them up with your favorite flavorings.
In my book, roasted vegetables go with just about any meal. The trick is to roast each vegetable on its own or to pair vegetables that cook in about the same amount of time. It also simplifies the cooking process if they taste good with similar seasonings. These do!
Lemon-Roasted Broccoli and White Sweet Potatoes make a great combination. Lemon brings out subtle flavors in both. White sweet potatoes are less sweet than orange ones, so their flavor doesn’t overwhelm the broccoli. They taste even better with a little cumin and paprika sprinkled on them as here.
Hint: Be sure to slice the white sweet potatoes small enough so that they are done in the same amount of time as the broccoli.
If you haven’t made my Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, the roasted vegetables in this recipe add great color and flavor to the meal – try it!
Lemon-Roasted Broccoli and White Sweet Potatoes
- 11/2 pound broccoli preferably organic, florets separated into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium white sweet potatoes sliced in thin wedges about ¼ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for oiling the pan
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil more oil to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt I use Redmond pink sea salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed seasoning of choice I like Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning salute
- ½ teaspoon paprika or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the vegetables on an oiled baking sheet in a single layer.
- Drizzle with the oils - add more oil if there is not enough to coat the vegetables lightly. Mix them with your fingers if needed.
- Sprinkle the salt evenly over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the cumin and paprika over the white sweet potatoes.
- Drizzle the lemon juice evenly over the vegetables.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the broccoli is softened and the sweet potatoes are slightly browned. If you are not eating this with a dish like my Beef Stroganoff, they are also delicious with a salad dressing or dip of your choice.