I love one-pan meals, especially a baked dish that is a little showy. One-pan roasted chicken thighs with vegetables goes together quickly and makes the house smell wonderfully savory. It’s attractive enough to be a company-for-supper dish.
And you can vary the vegetables according to what you like or have on hand. Rutabagas and Yukon gold potatoes are great. In Hawaii, I used taro – yum!
The trick to the simplicity of this dish is that the vegetables roast in the broth underneath the chicken pieces. It’s your choice whether to cube them as I have in this version, or slice them thinly.
In high-altitude Denver, it’s better to let the vegetables bake in the pan for about 20 minutes before putting the chicken and other ingredients on top. That way the onions, in particular, are sure to be cooked when the chicken is.
As far as seasonings go, you have a lot of freedom there too. I like to use sprigs of either rosemary or thyme, whichever is in my garden.
I wouldn’t change the olives or lemon — both are great with chicken — and the paprika is a must!
Bone-in chicken pieces give the most flavor in a dish like this. Also, they are more likely to be able to roast as long as the vegetables need to.
Another trick is to add a little gluten-free flour, like tapioca or arrowroot, so that you get a gravy with the vegetables.
If you made this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment!
Other chicken recipes on A Meal In Mind
This is one of those savory one-pan meals that is showy for company but simple enough to make for family. The main prep is chopping the vegetables, then placing everything else on top and setting it to bake. It makes the house smell wonderfully savory while it’s baking and everyone enjoys it.
INGREDIENTS FOR ROASTED CHICKEN
- 1 onion, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 white sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 red sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup homemade bone broth
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Seasoning blend of (or use 2 Tablespoons of your own favorite seasoned salt)
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lemon, cut thinly into six sliced
- ½ cup kalamata olives (or more to taste)
- 6-8 fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix onion, bell pepper, sweet potato chunks, garlic, tapioca flour, sea salt, broth and lemon juice in a large roasting pan.
- Place chicken pieces on top of vegetables.
- Pour some olive oil over each chicken piece.
- Sprinkle the chicken and the vegetables with the seasonings.
- Place a lemon slice on top of each chicken thigh.
- Poke the black olives and rosemary or thyme around and between the chicken pieces.
- Roast chicken for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce temperature to 375 degrees F (191 degrees C). Roast for about an hour more, until juices run clear.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve with lemon wedges.
High-altitude adjustment: bake vegetable “bed” for 20 minutes before placing chicken and other goodies on top; then bake another hour, for a total of 1 hr 35 min bake time.
Keywords: gluten-free, dairy-free, company meal
Pin for later!!