These little cakes are so easy to stir together for Valentine’s Day or any day! There’s just enough sweetness from the honey for these strawberry-almond heart cakes to be more cake than muffin. The combination of almond, coconut and tapioca flours become light yet filling when baked together. The little cakes are ready in just about an hour!
And of course they are gluten-free and grain-free. They’re full of flavor from the addition of almond extract. This recipe makes the perfect amount of batter for the six little cakes shown here. For the twelve cakes that would fit in a larger muffin baking pan, double the recipe. To cut down on oven time, bake them in a mini-muffin tin, in which case it would give 24 mini’s.
These little, mildly sweet cakes are so easy to stir together! And just enough sweetness from the honey for these strawberry-almond heart cakes to be more cake than muffin. They are ready in just about an hour.
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons honey
1/8 cup ghee or coconut oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt, such as Redmond pink salt
- 3 strawberries, green top removed, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin pan with parchment liners.
- Combine the honey and ghee in a mixing bowl, stirring constantly to prevent the honey from settling to the bottom of the ghee. Add the coconut milk, egg and almond extract, stirring after each addition.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring until completely mixed. Transfer the batter by spoonfuls to the prepared muffin liners, nudging it into the heart shape.
- Top with one half strawberry each, pressing down gently.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the little cakes comes out clean.
- Allow little cakes to cool completely before removing them from the pan, as they are rather delicate.
Instead of ghee, butter or coconut oil can be substituted.
Keywords: gluten-free, dairy-free, honey-sweetened, lightly sweet dessert