Almond-Crusted Steelhead or Salmon Tacos
This recipe, just in time for Taco Tuesday, is for almond-crusted steelhead or salmon tacos matched with red cabbage, fresh tomatoes, spicy guacamole and feta cheese. Simple, tasty and great party food.
- For the salmon or steelhead more detail and photos in previous post
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs of choice - oregano thyme, etc.
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 – 4 ounce boneless skinless salmon or steelhead fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- slider tortillas 1 package, Mi Rancho brand
- Guacamole homemade or purchased, about 2 cups
- red cabbage thinly sliced, about 1 cup
- ripe tomatoes diced, about 2 cups
- feta cheese about 1/2 cup
- thinly sliced red onion and cilantro for garnish
- lime wedges
For the salmon or steelhead
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a shallow bowl mix the almond flour and seasonings. Press fish fillets into almond flour mixture.
Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and sear one side of fish for 3 minutes. If you are using steelhead, this should be enough to allow you to remove the skin, if desired.
Flip and sear for 3 more minutes.
Place fish into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the fish flakes and the almond flour coating is slightly browned.
For the tacos
Warm the tortillas in the oven or microwave until softened
Spread each tortilla with a layer of guacamole
Place about 2-3 tablespoons of flaked fish along the center of each tortilla
Place additional toppings as desired and top with a small dollop of guacamole and the cheese
Squeeze lime juice over each taco and serve with additional toppings