Beetroot Artichoke Hummus
This beet-artichoke hummus is a delicious and striking blend of chickpeas, beets, artichoke hearts, tahini and seasonings. An easy gluten-free side or snack!
Servings 8 servings
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas cooking liquid and a few beans reserved *
- 1 medium 2-3 inch beet, boiled, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup jarred artichoke hearts plus about 2 tablespoonfuls of the marinade
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil optional, see note
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½-1 teaspoon salt to taste
Place the drained chickpeas and garlic into a food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
Add the beet, the artichoke hearts and their marinade, and the tahini and blend until a uniform color.
Add lemon juice, salt and the optional olive oil. If needed to thin your hummus, pour in 1 tablespoon (or more) of chickpea cooking liquid and blend to mix.
If the hummus is too thick, add more cooking liquid. To adjust the seasonings, add more lemon juice or salt.
Garnish with extra chickpeas, sesame seeds and a sprinkle of minced parsley, basil or cilantro. Serve the hummus with pita or chips or fresh vegetables.
If you prefer, drizzle the olive oil on top of your hummus before serving - or leave it out altogether.
I haven't included the cooking time for either the chickpeas or the beet in this recipe, since that will depend on your preferred cooking method; or you might buy precooked beets or beans.