Beef Barbacoa Taco Sliders With Creamy Avocado-Lime Dressing
This recipe for barbacoa beef cooks up slow and tender, and forms the flavor base for some of the best taco sliders I've eaten. I use a flavor assist with a delicious slow-cook sauce from Frontera Foods and add a few extras for great flavor and texture. Drizzle with creamy avocado-lime guac dressing. Taco nirvana.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 small to medium yellow onion diced
- 2 lbs beef brisket or stew meat preferably grass fed, cut into 1½ to 2-inch chunks
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic 5-6 cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 package Frontera Foods Red Chile Beef Barbacoa Slow Cook Sauce (or canned
- ¼ cup water
- 1 package slider corn tortillas we like Mi Rancho organic
- fresh lime slices for garnish
- Other toppings: thinly sliced radishes green cabbage, red onion, feta cheese (or non-dairy equivalent), and creamy avocado-lime guac dressing
Heat the oil in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting.
Add the onions and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and stir briefly, about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add the beef and sear until browned on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Turn off sauté setting.
Stir in the cumin and oregano, then the slow cook sauce and water. Cover the Instant Pot and set on slow cook for 7-8 hours (grass-fed beef often needs to cook longer than corn-fed).
If the sauce is thin, remove the beef from the pot and heat the sauce to reduce it. Use two forks to pull the chunks into shreds for your tacos. Return the meat to the pot and coat with sauce.
To assemble sliders:
Warm tortillas on a griddle or in the microwave for a few seconds and place on plate or tray.
Drizzle creamy avocado lime guac dressing onto the tortilla.
Place 2-3 tablespoonfuls of the cooked beef mixture in the center.
Top sliders with thin-sliced radishes, shredded green cabbage, feta cheese and/or red onion and more drizzles of the dressing.