This chicken takes on a glorious medley of flavors from spinach, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and lemon. It makes a wonderful hearty meal, and can be eaten on its own or top any pasta.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced, about 3/4 cup
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon pink sea salt or to taste, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups fresh spinach packed, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup marinated, sliced artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper, paprika and thyme. Heat olive and coconut oils in a large skillet over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering. Carefully place chicken thighs in skillet and cook 5-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness, or until chicken is browned and firm. Transfer to a plate.
- Clean out your pan if it has any burnt residue, then return to medium heat. You should still have some leftover oil in the pan, and browned bits will add a lot of flavor to your sauce. But if it is very dry, add another tablespoonful or so of oil.
- When hot, add onion. Sauté until soft, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes. If the onion looks like it will stick, deglaze the pan with a little water and stir up the brown bits. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Pour in the coconut cream; stir well and bring to a simmer. Add the spinach and tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes, then stir in artichoke hearts, lemon juice and nutritional yeast. Simmer until flavors are well combined and the sauce has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer until it is done, about another 10 minutes.
- Test chicken for doneness. Taste and adjust seasonings, as this is a fairly low-salt version. You may wish to add more lemon juice instead, which brings out salty flavors.
- Serve over spaghetti squash, or pasta of choice.
Keywords: easy Tuscan chicken, chicken main dish, stovetop meal, chicken and vegetables, gluten free pasta dinner, Mediterranean dinner