Here’s an easy homemade no-ketchup sloppy-joe recipe. Use it to make these lip-smacking stuffed air-fryer potatoes — you’ll never miss the buns in this gluten-free meal.
- 4 good-sized Yukon gold potatoes, baked in air fryer or oven, plus olive oil to coat (see note)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white or sweet onion, diced small
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon prepared spicy yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cook the potatoes (see note below for air fryer directions) and set aside.
- In a pot or large skillet on medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Saute the onions become just translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes more until peppers are starting to change color.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking it all up, until all the pink color is gone.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Taste to see if it needs a little more salt or vinegar. Remember that the potatoes aren’t salted so you can make the mixture just a bit saltier than you might otherwise.
- Cut the cooked potatoes almost in half and press gently open. Spoon the Sloppy Joe filling on top of each open potato. Top with cheese, if desired, and a dollop of yogurt (or sour cream) – dairy or non-dairy. Garnish with sliced green onions and parsley.
I used directions from All Recipes for my air fryer potatoes
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, about 3-4 inches long each
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Brush potatoes gently with 1 teaspoon oil; place in the basket of the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes. Skins will be starting to brown.
- Brush potatoes with 1 additional teaspoon oil; continue cooking in the air fryer for 10 minutes. Coat with the remaining oil and cook until tender, 5-7 minutes more.
Keywords: sloppy Joe's, gluten-free, dairy-free option, stuffed potatoes, potato sloppy joe's, comfort food, beef sloppy Joe's