This roasted summer vegetable soup is minestrone-like, rich and delicious, made from the earthy sweetness of tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers and zucchini. Take advantage of the delectable summer harvest to make this soup!
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, halved and cored
- 2 yellow, orange, or red bell peppers, or any combination of the three, deseeded and sliced
- 2 zucchini or summer squash
- 2 or 3 long eggplant, halved (or one round eggplant)
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 onions, peeled and halved
- olive oil
- pink sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional for a creamy soup)
- ¼ pound chickpea pasta, cooked
- 1 cup cooked small white beans
- Basil leaves as garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Arrange tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, garlic, and onions on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Brush generously with olive oil. Eggplants roast best with cut sides down, but other vegetables can be arranged as is easiest. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until eggplant tests soft with a fork. Check at 25 minutes, as garlic cloves may need to come out earlier so they don’t burn.
- Peel the garlic. Transfer vegetables to a large pot, add the vegetable broth, and use an immersion blender to break up the vegetables, but not until they are completely pureed. You want for there to be still recognizable chunks, like in a bisque soup.
- Add the cooked white beans and thyme. Stir in the optional coconut milk if you want your soup to have a little creaminess. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cooked pasta (see note) and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with basil leaves as garnish.
It’s important to stir in the pasta just before serving so that it doesn’t soak up all the broth. The soup will continue to thicken if you have leftovers, so you may need to add some broth when warming the remaining soup.
Keywords: summer soup, roasted vegetables, roasted vegetable soup, Sicilian soup, minestrone, gluten-free, gluten-free pasta, dairy-free, dairy-free recipes, dairy-free soup