A savory Mexican-seasoned butternut squash breakfast hash bowl made with roasted butternut squash, heirloom tomato salsa, avocado and an optional egg.
For the squash
- Olive oil, for greasing pan
- 3 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ onion, small dice
- 1 small red and 1 small green bell pepper, small dice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, to stir into squash
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
For the heirloom tomato salsa
- 1½ cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped sweet onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Juice from ½ lime (1-2 tablespoons)
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil (optional, to drizzle)
Garnishes and toppings
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and cubed
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta, optional
- 4 large eggs, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray or drizzle a large baking sheet with oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine squash, olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Spread squash evenly on a sheet pan and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until browned and tender, stirring once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice, pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- If you will be adding optional eggs, this is the time to start them.
- To assemble each bowl: Layer 1½ cups butternut squash hash, ½ cup salsa, 1/4 of the avocado and a lime wedge. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Optional: top with 1 egg, cooked as you prefer, and/or 1 tablespoon feta.
Without the optional egg and cheese, the hash is vegan.
Keywords: butternut, squash, organic squash, easy recipe, roasted squash, tomato salsa, Mexican seasonings, local farm, farm to table