This roasted butternut squash curry chicken soup is aromatic, savory and satisfying. The curry spices complement the nuttiness of the roasted squash perfectly! The chicken broth and meat supply the protein for a satisfying meal.
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large carrot, diced
1 large onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 quart chicken broth (overnight chicken broth in the Instant Pot)
1 medium-sized butternut squash, roasted, seeded and flesh scooped out of the skin
1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk (reserve ¼ c for garnish)
5 cups dark-meat chicken (from Instant Pot), chopped or shredded (or other chicken of your choice)
¼ cup pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Melt coconut oil over medium-low heat in large stock pot.
- Sauté carrots until the oil takes on a golden color, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onions and sauté until slightly softened, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the celery and stir to combine, about 3 more minutes, then add garlic and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the cumin and curry powder and continue to heat while stirring to coat the vegetables with the spices, about 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and the chicken broth.
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer about 10 minutes. Add the squash and stir to combine. If the squash is not completely soft, cook the combined ingredients for another 5 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, mostly puree the vegetables and broth, leaving some small chunks for a bisque-like consistency.
- Add the coconut milk, except for the reserved portion, and stir.
- Stir in the chopped chicken.
- Adjust the seasonings; I typically add another teaspoonful of salt and one of curry at this point.
- Serve into bowls, dribbling a little reserved coconut milk and a few pumpkin seeds on top.
This soup can be made vegan by using vegetable broth and cashews. When I’ve done this, I’ve added the cashews at the same point as I add the chicken. This timing keeps the cashews from becoming too soft.
Keywords: Butternut squash, chicken, vegetables, stovetop