These Roasted Beets and Rutabagas are colorful, full of flavor and easy to prepare. Both caramelize in roasting, and the beets take on that slightly smoky tartness unique to them. The rutabagas lose much of their strong, rooty flavor and become sweet and savory. Great as a side dish or salad topper, and so easy to peel, slice, season and bake!
2 pounds beets (red, gold and/or Chioggia)
1 pound rutabagas
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons herb seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
Herbs for garnish, such as rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and peel the beets and rutabagas.
- Slice into wedges of similar thickness.
- Place onto baking pan and drizzle with oil.
- Use your fingers to coat the beet wedges evenly with oil.
- Sprinkle the herb seasoning and optional salt over the vegetables.
- Roast, uncovered, until the wedges are tender when pierced with a skewer and the edges have browned slightly.
Because the betaine hydrochloric acid is corrosive to metals, be sure to wash your knives right after slicing the beets! Though it’s a tiny amount, it adds up over time and can dull the blades.
Keywords: roasted beets, roasted rutabagas, oven-roasting, one-pan, plant-based, simple side dish, vegan