This quick, easy Nut Pesto Green Rice uses an elegant blend of parsley, garlic, lemon, walnuts, and almonds made into a paste. Once you have blended the ingredients in your food processor, you simply stir them into cooked rice. A simple, yet satisfying and beautiful side dish.
For the rice:
1 c brown basmati rice
2 c water, for cooking
For the green nut pesto:
¼ cup almonds
¼ cup walnut pieces
2 cloves garlic, depending on size of cloves (2 tsp)
1 bunch parsley, de-stemmed (generous ½ cup tightly packed leaves)
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice
2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
½ cucumber, diced, for garnish
pepper to taste
- Soak rice in 2 c water, changing often, for at least 8 hrs.
- Cook rice at a slow simmer until water is absorbed, or cook in a rice cooker.
- While rice is cooling, blend almonds, walnuts, and garlic in a food processor until in tiny pieces but not all the way to nut butter.
- Process in parsley, salt, lemon juice and oil until the mixture is a pesto-like paste. When rice has cooled a bit, stir nut-pesto mixture into it.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Top with cucumber and a few extra leaves of parsley.
- Delicious with a dish such as black bean sweet potato chili (link here).
Keywords: Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, greens