This tasty and filling Mexican quinoa bowl is seasoned with cumin and chili powder and a simple vinaigrette that brings out quinoa’s nutty flavors. It’s a perfect dish to make a big batch of as it keeps well in the refrigerator and goes with many meals.
For the quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa (used red or red and white quinoa)
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1½ teaspoons pink sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, optional
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
For the bowl
- 3 cups cooked and seasoned quinoa as prepared above
- 1 ear of roasted corn, cut from the cob
- 1 bell pepper, grilled and diced
- 1/2 cup pinto beans or peas
- 1/3 cup pickled red onion
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or cubed
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup white Mexican cheese or feta
- 2 tablespoons oregano, minced – fresh if available
- If there are no directions on your package of quinoa, here’s what I do. Place rinsed quinoa and water into a saucepan.
- Cover and heat to a rolling boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Check after 10 minutes to see if the water has been absorbed. If not, simmer for another 3-5 minutes depending on how wet the quinoa is. You can take it off the heat when no visible liquid remains. I use a pan with a glass lid so that I can even tilt the pan without removing the cover, to see if any liquid shows up from underneath.
- Remove from heat and let sit for five minutes to absorb any remaining liquid. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- While quinoa is cooling, cut and prepare your corn, bell pepper, other vegetables and dressing ingredients. You can increase the quantity of any ingredient to feature it!
- Place the cooled quinoa in a bowl and stir in the dressing and main ingredients. Let it sit for a couple of minutes so it absorbs the seasonings, then taste and correct the salt. I like the black pepper even though the recipe also calls for chili powder, but I’ve made that optional.
- Place the pickled onions, avocado and extra cheese in separate bowls. Garnish with cilantro and oregano if your family enjoys them.
Inspired by a recipe at foodtravelist
Keywords: quinoa bowl, side dish, main dish, Mexican cuisine, Mexican seasonings, gluten-free, grain-free