This Mediterranean Quinoa Vegetable Salad is a delicious celebration of vegetables with tangy flavors of lemon and garlic. An easy potluck dish, it appeals to everyone, regardless of diet, because it is beautiful, flavorful, gluten-free and vegan.
For the salad
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa
- 3 cups water (for cooking the quinoa)
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup cup black or Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped, or 1/2 red and 1/2 orange (save a section for the top)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 small head broccoli, top cut into florets and steamed to fork-tenderness, stem peeled and chopped to stir into salad
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste, see note
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh dill, minced, and sprigs for garnish
Lemon Vinaigrette dressing
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse quinoa and drain thoroughly, unless your quinoa says that no rinsing is needed.
- In a saucepan with a cover, bring the 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered until all water is absorbed.
- Allow quinoa to cool to room temperature.
- For the dressing, whisk together all ingredients for the vinaigrette. Stir into quinoa and mix well. Stir the chopped vegetables into the quinoa: olives, broccoli stem, bell peppers, onions, peas and minced dill. Stir again and adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Arrange the sliced vegetables on top of the quinoa, garnish and serve! Keeps refrigerated for about 3 days, after which the salad can get a little soggy.
We are eating very low salt these days. Be sure to taste in case you prefer a saltier salad.
Keywords: easy quinoa salad, Mediterranean quinoa, vegetable salad, side dish, vegan, vinaigrette, baba ghanoush dressing, potluck dish