This savory, creamy, fork-tender Dutch-oven-baked Marrakesh Lamb Korma couldn’t be easier, as you layer the ingredients in the pan, cover and roast in a slow oven for hours. A great company meal since it requires no last-minute cooking except to assemble your side dishes.
- 3–4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 2½ pounds lamb chops or stew meat
- 24 ounces Yukon gold potatoes, peeled if desired and cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, optional
- 2 tablespoons Marrakesh Curry Blend (or blend your own, see note)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1–2 teaspoons pink sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro plus sprigs for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Layer the vegetables and the meat into the Dutch oven in this order: carrots, lamb, potatoes, onions.
- Using a small bowl, stir the curry powder into part of the coconut milk. Add more coconut milk and stir. If you want to make your sauce thick, stir in the arrowroot.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the meat and vegetables. Use a little more coconut milk to get the last of the curry seasoning out of the bowl. Pour the second can of coconut milk evenly over the other ingredients.
- Pour the tomatoes evenly over the dish, and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover the Dutch oven with foil and seal tightly. Set the lid of the Dutch oven on top of the foil.
- Place in the oven and roast for 6 hours (7 hours at high altitude).
- After roasting, stir the curry and test for salt and spiciness. You can still add a little curry powder or cayenne (optional) if you want it spicier. Garnish with cilantro or offer it on the table. For the batch shown in these photos, I was serving it to someone who avoids cilantro, so we used parsley in the dish.
- Serve as-is or over rice, with saag and chutney on the side. Garnish as desired.
To make your own Korma seasoning, combine the seasonings listed here. Start with half of the mix and add more for a stronger flavor. 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves; 3 teaspoons ground pepper; 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom; 3 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander; 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin; 2 teaspoons turmeric; 1 heaping teaspoon paprika; 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Adapted from this recipe.
Keywords: lamb korma, Moroccan stew, Dutch oven stew, oven roasted, easy recipe, mild curry, coconut milk, gluten-free, dairy-free