Instant Pot Swiss Chard Saag is a savory, quick and easy way to prepare this delicious green side dish. Delicious with any curry or korma, and a great color contrast! It only takes a few minutes to prep the vegetables and saute them before letting the Instant Pot do the rest.
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1–2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon cayenne, adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bunches (about 1 1/2 pounds) Rainbow Chard, rinsed, thick leaf midribs removed and torn or chopped
- Ghee (or butter), for serving
- Press the “saute” button on the Instant Pot and add the ghee.
- Once it melts, add the onion to the pot and stir-fry for 3 minutes until just turning golden.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Stir the spices into the pot and stir-fry for 1 minute until the vegetables are coated.
- Add the swiss chard by handfuls, stirring until each part wilts a little and leaves room for more until it’s all added and coated with the seasoning mixture.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 15 minutes at high pressure. Release pressure naturally.
- Remove the lid and use an immersion blender to puree the contents of the pot (or pour the contents into a blender and then add the blended mixture back into the pot). You may need to transfer your cooked chard to a smaller container, such as a bowl, so that the immersion blender will actually be immersed in the vegetables. It cooks down a lot!
- Serve with ghee.
To make this recipe vegan, substitute olive oil for the ghee.
Keywords: easy side dish, quick vegetable side, indian food, from scratch, chard, vegetarian, vegan option, gluten-free