Easy Cumin-Spiced potatoes (also known as Jeera potatoes) uses first the Instant Pot, then the stovetop, to give tender potatoes with the rich flavors of cumin, coriander, garam masala and chili.
- 2 pounds of small to medium Yukon gold potatoes), pressure cooked as for salt potatoes (see note)
- 3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1–2 teaspoons cumin seeds plus 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste (about 3 cranks of a grinder)
- Cilantro to garnish
- Pressure cook the potatoes; let cool; cut into medium chunks
- Add oil to the pan and heat it
- Stir in the cumin seeds and cook until they crackle
- Then add the chili, coriander, and cumin powder and mix well with the oil
- Add the potato chunks and stir to coat with seasonings, then let them sear for a few minutes to develop a crust
- Sprinkle on the rest of the spices and once they seem to be evenly distributed, check the seasonings.
To pressure cook the potatoes, place them in salted water to cover (about 1/2 cup kosher salt). Set the Instant Pot for 3 minutes on Manual pressure. When the Instant pot finishes the 3 minutes, allow the pressure to come down naturally for 10 minutes, then release manually the rest of the way. Allow the potatoes to set in the salt water for at least another 5 minutes before removing them to a colander. Don’t rinse off the salt, just let the potatoes cool until you can chop them without burning yourself.
Keywords: jeera potatoes, Indian side dish, cumin potatoes, spiced potato, easy side dish, gluten-free side, curried potatoes