Coconut turmeric rice is a beautiful and flavorful golden side dish, great with curry-flavored main courses. Coconut milk adds creaminess without dairy; naturally gluten-free. Make this easy and tasty dish soon!
- 1 cup rice (we used short-grain, partially milled Japanese rice, see note)
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, see note
- 1 cup stock, chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wash, rinse and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onions in oil until they are translucent, then add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the seeds and saute 30 seconds, then the turmeric and stir until all is mixed together.
- Add the drained rice and saute for 2 minutes until coated with oil and turmeric.
- Add the coconut milk and the stock and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a slow boil.
- Once it comes to a boil – reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cover the pot and let cook on low for 15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed (a glass cover for the pot helps with this).
- At this point, turn the heat off but do not open the pan.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and, if desired, slivered almonds.
We used Sukoyaka Genmai whole-grain rice, a partially-milled brown rice. But that’s because we can buy it locally. This recipe would work well with Jasmine or Basmati rice. Choose rice that your family enjoys!
This recipe is modified from this one.
Keywords: coconut rice, coconut turmeric rice, golden rice, easy side dish, easy rice dish