This herbed coconut milk quinoa is a simple yet elegant side dish that makes the best use of any fresh savory herbs you might have in your garden. Coconut milk complements the nutty flavor of quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa, (if pre-rinsed, use dry; otherwise, rinse, drain thoroughly and reduce the water, see note)
- 1 can coconut milk (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1/3 cup water (reduce to 3 tablespoons if you rinsed your quinoa)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (or thyme, rosemary, tarragon)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, optional (or serve lime wedges with the quinoa)
- 1/2 teaspoon pink sea salt or to taste
- optional garnishes: avocado wedges, parsley or cilantro
- Rinse quinoa twice with water and drain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Mix with coconut milk and water in a saucepan with a lid.
- Season with salt, chopped chives and optional lime juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes (check the directions on your quinoa).
- Remove from heat and allow to sit, covered, until all liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with additional fresh chives and optional parsley or cilantro and avocado wedges.
Until recently I always rinsed, rather than soaked my quinoa, though I routinely soak grains and beans. Quinoa needs to be rinsed to remove bitterness but soaking increases that bitterness. Now some quinoa is sold pre-rinsed, so be sure to check your packaging to find out if is has been. Costco sells one type that has been rinsed already.
Keywords: quinoa, easy herbed quinoa, coconut milk quinoa, fresh herbs, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free