This chicken, black rice and zucchini soup is simple to prepare, yet flavorful. It owes its wonderful colors to the turmeric, carrots, black rice and zucchini. Everyone who tried it liked it, whether on an elimination diet or not. It would be a great cold-remedy soup!
1 tablespoon avocado oil
2 carrots, about 1 ½ cups, sliced (see fun tip on cutting carrots)
3 stalks of celery, sliced
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 quart bone broth from slow-cooked chicken, or purchased bone broth
⅔ cup black or wild rice
2 cups zucchini, coarsely chopped
1 can (13.5 ounces) full-fat coconut milk
2–3 cups chicken from slow-cooked chicken
small handful parsley, for garnish
- Saute the carrots using low heat in the avocado oil, about 10 minutes.
- Add the celery and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and asafetida and stir until fragrant, about 1 more minute.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme, salt and chicken broth and bring to a gentle boil.
- Stir in the black rice. Cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is done (see note).
- Stir in the zucchini and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the coconut milk and chicken.
- Check the seasonings and add salt if needed. Garnish with fresh thyme, if available.
At high altitude, you will probably need to cook the soup at least another 10 minutes before the rice is cooked through. Or, pre-cook the rice to save time at the end.
Keywords: elimination diet, gluten-free, dairy-free, low fodmap, easy