Cajun seasoning is a simple mix of nine herbs and spices, most of which you likely have on hand. It’s more economical to blend your own than to buy it pre-mixed. Mixing your own also allows you to control the saltiness, herb ratio and heat level and to be sure it contains no gluten.
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons pink sea salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1–2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Stir the seasonings together. If the onion or garlic powders have gotten clumpy, press the lumps with a back of a spoon or in a small mortar and pestle.
- Measure out the amount you need for your recipe, and store the rest in an airtight container. See note.
If you live in a humid area, keeping onion and garlic powders and seasonings made with them in the refrigerator will keep them from clumping together.
Keywords: cajun seasoning, seasoning blend, easy seasoning, Cajun cuisine, homemade seasoning, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan