I love a good breakfast muffin and these blueberry lemon almond-flour muffins fit the bill. They are nutrient-dense with almond and coconut flours, blueberries, lemon juice and zest.
- 2 cups blanched almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs or two flax eggs, see note
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (could use as much as 1/3 cup for a sweeter muffin)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- lemon zest from 1-2 organic lemons, about 1 tablespoonful
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 large lemon) see note
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup plain coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water, if needed depending on thickness of the coconut yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Combine dry ingredients (almond meal, coconut flour, tapioca flour and baking soda) in a mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and lemon zest) to the bowl. Stir well until just mixed.
- Stir in the lemon juice, then gently fold in the blueberries ensuring they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Fill each muffin cup with batter (about ¼ cup each). Bake in the oven for approximately 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you prefer your muffins less cake-like, bake for the longer time. See note.
- Allow to cool on a rack. Garnish with fresh berries and drizzle with coconut yogurt/maple syrup mixture. Enjoy!
These are very moist and cake-like with some crunch in the crust. Be sure to allow the muffins to cool on a rack so that they don’t steam in the muffin tin.
Coconut yogurts vary a lot in thickness. The So Delicious brand, which I used in this recipe, needs no extra water. CoYo is a bit thicker and might need some.
Add lemon juice just before adding the blueberries because the lemon juice will cause the baking soda to fizz and you don’t want to lose that rising action.
For each flax egg, mix 1 tablespoonful of ground flax seed with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water and allow to gel for 10 minutes before adding to the other wet ingredients.
Keywords: almond flour muffin, blueberry lemon muffin, easy muffin, fruit topping, coconut yogurt, dairy-free, gluten-free dessert, vegetarian dessert